7.25.2008

Free Furniture Fridays

$.00

If you’re the type who can’t wait to get up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday just so you can troll the streets for great garage sale bargains, now there’s no reason to lose that sleep.
In Truxton Circle, it seems that Fridays are the best time to find free furniture! That’s right, need a couch, circa 1972, with only a few small stains and a slit cushion here and there? Looking for a gently used mattress? Or how about a fantastic wood-laminate computer desk with only one castor missing?

I don’t know what it is about Fridays in Truxton Circle, but each week on that day it seems I find newly discarded furniture at the curb along my path. Maybe Saturday is the designated “special pickup” day by the DC Waste Disposal Service? Not sure.

There’s something a little disturbing about seeing upended couches along the side of the road. One home I passed had so many things out front I was concerned someone had been evicted. But it never fails, come Monday, it’s all been hauled away. By whom, I’m not sure.

I have to mention that I have seen a double-size mattress hanging out in front of one multi-family walk-up for nearly a month now. Perhaps it’s not been picked up simply because it’s technically not at the curb. It’s been pushed up against the chain-link fence that resides between the house and the sidewalk. Most recently, a determined black walnut tree has sprouted near the end of the mattress and curled itself up and through part of the showing spring inside the bed. Every time I pass it, I am determined to take an artful photograph and call it “Mattress with Black Walnut,” but I always forget to come back and do so. Now that I’ve actually written here about it, maybe that will be my incentive to do so.

But for those diehard garage sale warriors out there, just a little heads up that you might find a jewel among the discarded ruins…

Bryan


P.S. I'll be gone next week on vacation, so all my fans out there will just have to re-read my initial postings to get their fix. Have a great week!

No comments: